Saturday, June 9, 2012

Toronto's Best Hot Chocolate

I don't usually crave sweets and chocolate, but when I do... I go to SOMA- an artisan chocolate-maker located in Toronto's Distillery District. 

One rainy winter day all I wanted was a cup of hot chocolate, so I Googled "Best Hot Chocolate in Toronto" and this is where it took me. I keep going back for more and more.
They make everything: from truffles to chocolate drinks to plain chocolate bars and even chocolate covered fruits.

 During my last visit, I tried their Mayan Spicy Hot Chocolate and fell in love.. it was smooth and velvety, had a nice spice without burning your throat and making you drink 5 glasses of water after. They make it three ways: a concentrated shot, the conventional way with milk, and I think the other way is with water. They also top it off with this amazing cream that's really thick and balances out the bitter spicy taste of the drink. 


A regular hot chocolate, a spicy mayan hot chocolate and more chocolate... that was quite a breakfast.


As I was sipping on my drink, a group of 20 or so German tourists showed up and bought heaps of chocolate.. that should tell you something, since German chocolate is probably one of the best in the world. 


Learn more about SOMA here.


You can see behind me there is a micro factory going on. Guests can sit in the shop and watch the whole process of chocolate making. Wish I could drink that big bowl of chocolate mixing in the background.


If you have never been to the Distillery Dirtrict, you're missing out! It's probably one of my favourite spots to spend a Sunday afternoon. There are lots of different shops, restaurants, oyster bars, and Mill St. Brewery is located there as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment